Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lightening the load

There comes a day in the life of every good rooster when it is time to say goodbye.

Today was that day for five of our beautiful birds.

Boys that we have raised and loved and nurtured since they were tiny, downy chicks.

The boys that we cheered for when they found their voices and began to crow.

It was inevitable, we knew the day was coming. I don't think anyone informed the roosters.

It wasn't fun, or enjoyable, but part of life on the farm...the end part, that is.

So good-bye Red.

So long Prince and King.

Duke, we'll miss you.

Buff, it was good knowing you.

As for the girls in the hen house, I think I just heard a collective sigh of relief!

They will probably sleep great tonight!!

2 comments:

  1. So, fried chicken for supper tonight?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you sold them RIGHT? So some other farmer could have lots of eggs.

    ReplyDelete