Waste?? Sweet corn?? No way, no how! Not if I could help it. "Sure," I replied. "That would be great, Rob. Thank you!"
It was early in the morning yet. I had heard the tractor rumbling up the road from the office where I was making copies for our school day. When I looked out the window to see who was here, I noticed that the morning sun was not over the bluff to the east yet. The fog in the field was glowing that golden pink that takes my breath away. I was feeling very prepared for the day. The house was clean and organized. I was ready to teach the kiddos, ready to tackle the first day of school. I had a plan and I was sticking to it.
Hmmmm.
Rob rolled back into the drive with the pick-up this time. He was pulling a small trailer full of corn. That's when I knew for sure that my day was going to be a bit different than what I had so carefully planned. Truthfully, I was incredibly thankful for the gift. Our sweet corn did poorly, only enough for a few meals. Not enough to freeze for delicious soups and stews this winter. This was not the first generous gift from the Olson's. Rob's mom passed away about this time last year leaving her large garden just ready to harvest. Rob and Lori let us pick tomatoes and wow, did we ever! We still have plenty canned up to last through this winter. Kind and generous neighbors, they certainly are!
I would love to rattle on and on with all the details of the day. How shucking, blanching, cutting and bagging the sweet corn brought back vivid memories of when I was a kid. I just can't go into that many details though...I am so exhausted!
I don't know how many ears I shucked for sure. I only kept track for the first two hours. At that point I determined that I could shuck an average of 2.7 ears per minute for a solid two hours. Then the kids joined me and we really got busy. The pile on the table was huge. At 7:00pm I called it quits on the shucking and we headed inside to start blanching. The younger kids bailed on me. Lane and I pressed on. At 10:00 pm I came inside with yet another load to throw in the water and announced that we would only finish what was in the house at that moment. The grand total for ears of corn shucked, blanched and cut off the cob was 452. Yes, you may laugh at me now. How completely crazy must I be?!?! 452 EARS OF CORN!!! That is only counting the ones that were finished. There are at least two hundred more ears on the table outside.
I can hardly move my wrist.
I am so thankful.
I am going to bed.
Good night.
(Sorry, I can't even sit here long enough to reorganize the pictures!)
Lane, what a man. Thanks for sticking through it with mom. I'm sure she couldn't have done it without you. I'm a proud big sister!
ReplyDeleteMom, wow. So much for a well organized first day of school, huh? Hehe! Oh well! Hope all goes more smoothly today.
I like the picture of Buddy and Meow hanging on the table with the sweet corn! :)
Missing you guys!
Chelsea
CRAZY! Maybe I shouldn't mentioned that I bought sweet corn at the farmer's market this morning. Too bad you didn't get your corn shipment a few days earlier. I would have taken some off your sore hands.
ReplyDeleteWhat a job! I guess at this point, we will be warm (wood stove), have corn (thanks to Rob&Lori) and Potatoes from our garden. This will be an interesting Winter but at least we won't freeze or starve. :) Love you!
ReplyDeleteYou must have gotten a new freezer?
ReplyDeleteWow.. that is a ton of corn!
ReplyDeleteI got to pick my father in laws garden of tomatoes. I put up 24 quarts of tomatoes for this winter. Never, ever have canned before. I have a 5 gal. bucket of apples waiting for me to make into applesauce. We will see how much I get done this weekend!
This is my first time here, and I am gonna be back!
From a city girl transplanted into central Wisconsin....
Heather