Seven weeks ago I started my first batch of sauerkraut. It has to sit and "do its thing" for at least six weeks. I just got around to getting it in jars tonight. At least, that was the plan. I brought the crock filled with 'kraut upstairs from the basement where it has been for the past month and a half. I removed the bags filled with water that sat upon the cabbage keeping it under the brine, and I hopefully peered in.
Uh Oh.
No brine. No bubbles. No liquid of any kind.
This seems bad, but the smell is worse.
The kraut doesn't look right either. Instead of transparent and white it is brown with streaks of black. Very bad.
Perplexed and disappointed, I set the smelly crock outside on the steps. Not even the animals were curious. Wow, what went wrong? Everything seemed so good at first.
Later in the evening I gave Glen the whole story, including my confusion! "Why did it dry out like that? What happened?" Suddenly, he burst out laughing!
Note to self: From now on when making sauerkraut in the basement...DO NOT run the DEHUMIDIFIER!!
*sigh* Yep. You learned it here.
I think I should feel bad for you, but it was sauerkraut! I mean if it was raspberry jam or something, I'd be hurting right with you, but sauerkraut? :)
ReplyDeleteYour last lesson learned was a looong time ago, anything new in your neck of the woods? :)
ReplyDelete