Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oh, what a day Lane had!

Lane went snowboarding with some friends from our homeschool group today.

He had a great time till he hit a jump wrong and landed on his wrist.

Landed hard.

The ski hill was two hours away. Neither Glen nor I were at the hill. We couldn't assess his pain or be there to make a decision. Lane had his phone, but he had no service.

He went to the restroom and threw up from the pain.

Thankfully, he sought help and got it. Then we got the call.

"We think Lane may have a broken wrist!"

Thankfully, the mom who drove Lane out to the ski hill is a good friend. She could tell he was really hurting. She offered to leave her own son with other friends and drive Lane back home early. Bless her heart!!

Once he was back in town Glen took him to urgent care where an x-ray showed two breaks in the growth plate of his wrist.

The doctor said surgery.

Glen said "Any other options??" (We do not carry any health insurance.)

The doctor thought they could try to set it the old-fashioned way.

He gave Lane a shot of Novocain in between the bones of his wrist.

Then two grown men began wrenching on the afflicted area.

That was when Lane threw up again.

My poor sweet boy! I know he was a trooper! I know he handled it the best he could.

Praise God! The set successful. His wrist was put in a cast. If the swelling stays down and the break heals, he won't need surgery!

Please pray for him! Tonight he is home and in tons of pain.

He is the first one on either side of our families to break a bone.

I don't think he is impressed with this record breaking status just yet!

God is so good! The break could have been much worse. Heidi might not have been there to drive Lane home. The doctor could have been less understanding. We are so thankful that everything went so smoothly!

Thank you for your prayers!




3 comments:

  1. Ouch! My younger brother did that exact thing a little over a year ago - snowboarding, hit a jump, landed on his wrist - but his break required pins to be put in.

    Hopefully Lane's break will heal without having to take any other measures. I'm glad to hear he's doing okay so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lane, I feel so bad for you, poor guy! I'm throwing up a lot too, but for other reasons:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am shocked to know that Glen has never broken anything! :)

    ReplyDelete