Clearly.
Every time I preheat it, there is a yucky burned smell.
It is also very unappetizing to look at.
Yup.
There should be laws against letting your oven get this dirty!
When I decided to blog the status of my oven, I took this first picture. Then I figured I should get a closer picture...
so I crouched down in front of the oven,
and back in the far corner of the top rack I saw this...
Yup. And then I laughed and laughed and laughed!!
That, my friends, is a charred-past-any-resemblance-of-a-spud, potato!!
Uh huh. That's right. It has been in there cooking away every time I turned my oven on for the passed two weeks or so.
And you should know that I use my oven ALMOST EVERY DAY!
Actually, according to my master cooking list, it has been in there since March 28th! That was the day I made Basic Breakfast Potatoes!
Here is a close up just for your viewing pleasure.
I'm pretty sure this could only happen to me, here!
I called Glen and told him. He laughed almost as hard as I did. Then I sent the picture to Lane's phone.
I got a "Wow." response from him.
He sent the picture to his friend Kyle, and Kyle could not identify the object.
Go figure.
The poor kid has never seen the likes of a charred potato at his house.
Well..... did you laugh??
Good. My mission in life is complete!
I will rest peacefully tonight.
So, after all of that excitement, I sprayed the oven with oven cleaner and left the house for a few hours.
A few hours turned into the rest of the day and evening.
When I got home at 9:30pm the scent of oven cleaner was in the air. I got out my gloves and went to work.
I always clean the oven door first so I can lean in there to get the rest of the goo without covering myself with it.
I think I learned this lesson the hard way.
Then I clean the walls.
Can you see why??
This was the best I could do.
There are just some spots that refuse to be removed!
I don't suppose it will last long! But it is wonderful for today!
I had brief thoughts about keeping a running tally of all the baking potatoes I put into and pull out of the oven.
I also had brief thoughts about always using foil when baking pies, and never again oven-roasting chicken. But, this is real life.
I just don't operate that way.
So I guess I'll have another date with the oven cleaner. Hopefully before things get completely out of hand again!






That is so funny! About the potato, I mean. Not about the state of your oven. Thanks for chuckle! :-)
ReplyDeleteAllison,
ReplyDeleteHate to burst your bubble but I have found a stray potato in the oven as well, but only two days later, not two weeks!! You win! I like you a lot, Allison---you are real and you are honest about it and that is refreshing (and entertaining) ;)
Yes, you made me laugh out loud! Super funny and when I first saw the "object" I thought it was your steel wool for cleaning the oven:)
ReplyDeleteAn unused oven seldom needs cleaning! You have created such amazing meals and treats from this 30+year old oven and you keep us giggling with little things like the Potato! Love you! Keep up the great work!
ReplyDeleteNow you had me running to my oven this morning at 7am to go see if I could find anything that beats that cute little crispy potato..but nope, nothing.. wait.. I think there's a pepperoni..and maybe some cheese?! So that's what happened to my pizza the other day ! ;)
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed reading your post this morning, thanks for sharing!
This way my acquaintance Wesley Virgin's biography begins with this SHOCKING AND CONTROVERSIAL VIDEO.
ReplyDeleteAs a matter of fact, Wesley was in the military-and soon after leaving-he found hidden, "MIND CONTROL" tactics that the government and others used to obtain anything they want.
As it turns out, these are the same methods lots of famous people (especially those who "became famous out of nowhere") and elite business people used to become wealthy and successful.
You probably know how you only use 10% of your brain.
That's mostly because most of your brainpower is UNCONSCIOUS.
Perhaps this conversation has even taken place IN YOUR own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head around 7 years back, while driving an unregistered, garbage bucket of a vehicle without a driver's license and $3 on his debit card.
"I'm absolutely frustrated with living paycheck to paycheck! Why can't I turn myself successful?"
You've been a part of those those types of questions, right?
Your very own success story is waiting to be written. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.
WATCH WESLEY SPEAK NOW