Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Delights of Breakfast

I am a huge fan of breakfast. It is considered the most important meal of the day, I would have to agree. It would be difficult to find something that I don't like for breakfast. Pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, omelets, muffins, popovers, coffee cake, hashbrowns, yogurt, granola, they all satisfy! I consider one of the perks of being a stay-at-home mom is being able to decide what we eat for breakfast each day. For the most part my family is happy with whatever I put in front of them. There is a coffee cake with a maple glaze that tops their list. They love homemade bagels toasted with butter and jam. Pancakes and waffles usually fit the bill, and most of them like muffins.
There have been some real DUDS over the years. No one
cared for the pear-stuffed french toast that Martha
Stewart promised everyone would love. Popovers
are not a big hit, and the only way eggs go over is
scrambled, dry. So it stands to reason that
I am the only one who truly enjoys a shirred egg

in
the morning. Quick and easy, it gives me a
serving of dark green leafy vegetables almost
before the day has started. The serving of
protein helps me to not feel hungry before noon,
very important detail when trying to shed
some of those winter pounds. So here is the recipe.
I hope you will try it and let me know what you
think. The original recipe came from Mary Jane
Butters, the original "farmgirl". You can check
out her website at http://maryjanesfarm.org.

Shirred Egg
Roughly chop a handful of baby spinach
and place in a small buttered dish. (I use a
half pint canning jar). Make a slight dent in the
center of the spinach, crack an egg into the dent.
Season with salt and pepper, pour one tablespoon
of heavy cream over the egg, grate one tablespoon
of parmesan cheese over all. Microwave for
about 1 min. 15 sec. or till the egg is done the
way you like it. Let sit for a minute, it will be
very hot. Enjoy!










1 comment:

  1. Allison, I usually think you are an amazing cook and really miss all your yummy food, but this?!

    ReplyDelete