Monday, February 9, 2009

The Glad Game!

Do you remember the movie Pollyanna? The star in the movie is a sweet, optimistic girl named Pollyanna who sweeps into a negative, pessimistic town and helps the residents there to see the good in life! In the movie she talks about playing the "Glad" game when you need to find something positive about a situation. I am playing the Glad game here this morning!
I am the proud owner of vintage 1950's appliances. They are chocolate brown and match the lovely vintage vinyl flooring that is brown, orange and beige. These appliances were made long before ovens had a self-cleaning feature. The electric burners sit over the old-fashioned drip pans. Earlier this winter I was cooking a very sticky substance that boiled over and filled not only the drip pan beneath the burner, but also part of the cavity beneath the drip pan! (This is a part of the stove-top that is not actually meant to be seen by the user!) Bless my dear mother!! She scraped and sopped most of this mess up for me, and then declared that a S.O.S. soap pad would work wonders on the black, sticky crud that was left in the drip pan and around the edge on the burner. Have I mentioned before that I don't like to clean?? The cleaning gene is one that skipped a generation in my family! My mother has it! Her house sparkles from top to bottom! My oldest daughter has it! Her room is always neat and organized, her clothes in tidy piles in their proper drawers, etc.. Not me! It takes determination and focus for me to have a clean-ish house! Clutter follows me everywhere and seems to multiply in dark corners overnight when I am not looking! There are so many wonderful things to do to fill the hours of my day, why oh why would I want to spend time cleaning?? Anyway, this morning the "bug" bit me! I grabbed my rubber gloves and S.O.S. pad and went to work. I worked and worked and worked!! (This is where the Glad game comes in!) By the time I was done scrubbing, my arm was aching and there were beads of perspiration on my upper lip!! So here it is...I am GLAD that I have older appliances!! My old stove has just knocked at least one year of age off of my flabby upper arm!! What can you be Glad about today??

1 comment:

  1. I am Glad that I get to remove drywall and insulation from a building that I am helping to remodel.

    ReplyDelete