Friday, April 24, 2009

A Comedy of Errors

Do you ever have days like this?? Days when things do not go as they should or as you had planned them and it really throws you (and everyone else) off? This is where I live today!! Here is how it started.

Our kids are involved in a homeschool group that has a Wisconsin State history class. All year we have been planning a fun field trip to wrap up the second book we have been reading, Caddie Woodlawn. The field trip was going to take us to Caddie's actual home which is about 45 minutes away from here. Earlier this week my friend Bee asked if we were all going. I answered " Yes", because that was the plan. She asked because two of her kids like to hang out with two of my kids. Fantastic, she would take her two out of school and bring them on the trip with us. Wonderful!

Skip a day or two. Now it is Thursday morning. Glen is leaving to go up to Bemidji for a few days, he suddenly decides to take Chelsea and Lane with him. Fantastic! They both have friends there that they want to see, so all is well. All but one thing...you got it, I forgot to tell Bee. Oh dear.

Yesterday Gabi and Aidan and I prepared for our field trip. We planned our picnic lunch, made iced tea to take, got out the picnic basket, talked about how fun it would be , etc. Last night when I talked to Glen I mentioned that I was worried that the "Bug" needed oil. Our VW Beetle drinks oil, literally consumes it! So I figured it neede some added, but it is also ready for an oil change, so do I add now or wait?? Glen voted wait. No problem. Now, it is no secret that we are very tight on money these days. Extremely tight, nickle-and-dime tight. So we gathered what we would need for the museum. This morning I tried to call Bee to warn her that my children who were supposed to be here were no longer here. I didn't reach her. Undaunted, we loaded up our picnic and happily started off. While on the on-ramp leading to the highway the oil light went on in the Bug! Not so good! We circled around and headed into town to buy some oil. I added a quart and checked the level, it didn't even show on the dipstick!?! Also not so good. We didn't have enough cash with us to buy more oil, and now we couldn't pay to get into the museum. The kids and I had a chat. Bless their little hearts, they took it all in stride. They didn't complain or whine, just said "It's ok Mom, don't worry! We can have our picnic at home." How precious is that?? As a result we ended up having a good day with another family and enjoyed our picnic lunch with them. Pecors, you are a blessing to us over and over again! Thank you for your hospitality!

So we didn't go on the field trip to Caddie Woodlawn's home today. I still haven't connected with Bee to see how her kids (who got out of school purposely to see my children) did on the field trip without Chelsea and Lane. Some days are like this! However, there is no great loss without some small gain! We got to hang out with other friends and had a great time! (Hopefully something wonderful happened with Bee's children too!) I'm so sorry Bee!

No comments:

Post a Comment