We live about 45 minutes away from Pepin, Wis. which is the birthplace of Laura Ingalls Wilder. It is also the birthplace of Charles Cedarblade who is a friend of Glen's. Glen and Charles were working on a job together there. Through an interesting set of circumstances that I won't go into the kids and I got to head down to see them one afternoon. Of course we had to go to the Laura Ingalls Wilder home site which is a reconstructed log cabin on the land that was owned by her family in 1867. The sun was warm that day. We brought a picnic and ate it there. Then the girls and I sat on the blanket and soaked up sunshine while the boys played catch and climbed trees.
I am a huge fan of Laura Ingalls Wilder. I loved her books as a girl, and I still do. I try to read them through each winter, sometimes to myself, sometimes to the family. They are priceless pictures of what life was like when my great-great grandparents were settling right here where we live now! In fact, it was in 1869 when Frederick Oleson, my great- great grandfather moved his wife and eight children here from Norway. My great grandmother was born the next year, their first child born in America, and the first one born on this farm. I love tracing the history of my family. I love knowing that part of my American roots grew right here, not more than 45 miles away from where Laura was growing up. How cool is that for a Laura fan?!?
No comments:
Post a Comment