Monday, May 11, 2009

Violets in the spring!

Years ago my friend Debbie gave me the recipe for violet jelly. I love to make it, but the season seems short, and it is often hard to find a large enough patch of flowers to pick. So, many years I go without. Not this year! On Mother's Day the girls and I were headed back home from town when I thought I spotted violets in someone's yard. We stopped, I gathered my courage and went to knock on the door. The kind owner of the violets seemed not to mind the idea of us picking them, so out we went. It is delightful to sit still in the cool grass and carefully pick each tiny blossom...one after one after one.



Each is so beautiful. Perfectly formed. Evidence again of our Creator's genius.



The recipe calls for eight cups of fresh blossoms. It takes a while to pick that many. But it is worth it!



Chelsea's artistic photos.



Abundance!



The gorgeous and delicious finished product. Five tiny jars of violet culinary creation!



The kind strangers who let me pick their flowers will be the recipients of a jar!



So when someone knocks on your door and asks a strange question, listen carefully before you just say no! I am so thankful they said Yes!

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Amy here. Thanks so much for your comment on the Freedom's Call blog! I didn't know you had a blog, too! I will have to check it out more often. The jelly looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I've gotta go look for violets.

    ReplyDelete