Saturday, May 9, 2009

The week in review

I don't know what to name this post, as it is a random collection of what has been going on here this week.
On Tuesday we had Gabi's 12th birthday party complete with cake, guests and fireworks! It was wonderful! Wednesday was kinda a catch-up day. Catch- up on laundry, catch up on sleep, catch up on hanging out together! It was great! Thursday we started planting the garden. Six rows of potatoes and two rows of onions went into the ground. Then we started mulching. Mulching is the key to happiness for me when I garden. Thick layers of newspaper and then straw, hay, or grass clippings on top. The newspaper keeps the weeds from growing through, the straw layer keeps the newspapers from blowing away with the first gust of wind! It all equals NO WEEDING during the long hot summer! It almost insures a successful gardening experience! However, it is so much work right up front! I am sore in places I didn't know I could be sore in , and a little sunburned too! The kids and Glen helped out a lot! What a great family activity! Later on Thursday I also started an asparagus patch next to the rhubarb. I love fresh asparagus in the spring! We cannot harvest it till next year, it has to establish a hardy root system this year. But next year I'll be ready! (By the way...I am not just growing potatoes and onions this year, but that is all that got planted before I ran out of energy!) So, on Friday we mulched some more, till we ran out of newspapers! Zoiks! I need to find someone who receives the paper and has a large bundle saved That they are willing to part with! Then I opened the door to the puppy hut to let the chicks out into the sunshine for a while. They did venture out a few at a time, curious and cautious. I sat close by to monitor the cats, and to see that no chicks went through the side of fence that holds dogs in but a chick can slip through easily. It was a beautiful day just to sit there and watch them scratching and scritching around and feel the sun, and listen to the song birds rejoicing in spring! After the chicks were safely inside their house again, I potted up my herb seedlings into larger pots. Basil, Lemon Basil, Lavender, Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Parsley, also a couple tiny tomatoes, and three peppers. The peppers just didn't sprout well. I think I need to try them again. Working with tiny plants is so refreshing. They are so green and strong and respond well to fresh soil and some water. I love knowing that they were tiny seeds a few short weeks ago! Then my parents returned from their trip to Chicago to see my Aunt Marilyn. We sat and talked and ate a fresh Rhubarb custard pie still warm from the oven! Yummy! Spring in a pie pan! Now it is Saturday. I am going to take my folks to the farmers market and then out to Weavers Country store. Finally, I get to show them some of the things I love about Eau Claire! Have a wonderful weekend! And Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies!

No comments:

Post a Comment