Thursday, December 31, 2009

The year in review.


I did it again.

I wanted to post about 2009.

I have been thinking about it all day.

When it was my turn on the computer, (sometimes I have to wait in line here!) I went through my usual ritual. I have a list of sites that I check, usually in the same order each time...anyone else do that??

I checked them all.

Even Pioneer Woman.

As usual, her post was beautiful, amazing.

I nearly turned off the computer right then and there. Someone has to start dinner you know!

At the last second I hesitated...

and here I am.

I came back because there is something I want all of you to hear. Something that I know you know, but it is so good to hear it again!

And this is it

God has a plan for you!

I know this for sure, because I have read His word. I know this for sure because I have seen him at work in my life and in the lives of my family members this past year. I thought maybe you would like to hear once again how amazing He is!

The year 2009 was one of the hardest of my life, and Glen's life as well. Since we moved to Wisconsin not very much has gone as we had planned for it to go. We love living here, and from a very early point felt totally at home in Eau Claire. We love the rolling hills. We love the rivers and farms. We love the size of our city, and we love the drive to our home from town. We love our church and the people in it. We love our Homeschool group and the opportunities there for our kids. We love all the friends we have made in such a short amount of time.

We just did not seem able to make a living here.

It is important to be able to make a living...even a meager one is better than none at all! Opportunities to make a living did present themselves. Each scenario that could go great, turned the opposite direction and went horribly. We had our hopes riding on the possibility of Glen getting a job with a large construction firm here in town. His interviews went great. He felt confident God was moving him in this direction. They said they would make their decision before the end of the year.

On Christmas Eve 2008, we received the rejection letter in the mail. That simple piece of paper altered our Christmas and the year to come substantially.

Glen was broken. He and I both had trusted that this was the answer to our desperate financial times. We were seeking God, we were praying, but things didn't go the way we had planned.

It is incredibly difficult to look into the eyes of your husband when neither of you know where the money for the mortgage is going to come from and say, "God must have something better in mind for you!" It is SO ( did you see the capital letters there??) hard to trust, trust, trust in the goodness of God when all you feel is hardship and there seems to be no end in sight.

However, the sun keeps rising and setting whether you can pay your bills or not. Through the bleakness and the struggle we saw the tender hands of God caring for us. During the long cold winter months our propane tank was mysteriously filled and no bill ever came. The Elders at our church heard we were struggling and paid our mortgage once, then twice. Dear, sweet friends invited us out to dinner for special occasions and paid the bill. Other dear friends bought us groceries when we had none, put gas in our car when I didn't know how we would make it home, filled our freezer with food from theirs.

We were so touched. So moved. We felt so loved. Yet still there was no relief in sight.

We still prayed. We still trusted. We still believed that God had a plan for our lives.

I was encouraged through Bible studies. We knew that people were praying for us. We trusted in the word of God. Jer. 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." We trusted. We waited. We trusted some more.

Then one day Glen and a friend had a conversation. The conversation had a follow-up conversation. One thing led to another, and suddenly there felt like there was a ray of light in the darkness of financial destitution.

Darling friend, let me tell you with JOY that we have paid all of our bills for three months in a row. We are caught up in areas that I felt sure we would never climb out of.

Do not ever let someone tell you there is no hope. God is able dear one! He is so able! Read the book of Esther. Even if you have read it before, read it again. Notice how God takes the very worst of situations and turns them into the exact opposite situation. He doesn't just make things better, he totally reverses them!! Whatever hardship you are going through right now, He knows, He cares, and He is able!!

There is nothing too big, too hard, too overwhelming for the Lord! Whatever your situation right now, imagine the exact opposite...the best possible outcome. God is able! Pray dear one! Pray and I will pray with you!

2009 was a year of incredible hardship. It stretched us, we are different.

2009 was also a year of amazing joy, deep friendship, spiritual growth.

Glen came home one day with a look in his eye. "Hon, what if we had enough? What would we do differently if we had enough?" It is a deep question. How will the experiences of the past year change the way we live in the year to come?

I will keep you posted on what we decide. I know this for sure...we will praise Him! It is only by the grace and mercy of the one and only God that we are even able to be here! Thank you, Lord Jesus! We are so thankful! We love you! I love you! Praise you, Jesus!

So, that was it, my friend.

I just wanted you to hear it again from me.

God isn't through with you yet! Don't give up! He loves you! He cares for you!

So do I!

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Momma,

    I know you won't believe it but you write even better than the Pioneer Woman. You are authentic and tender and that is better than being witty and having perfect pictures.
    I love walking this adventure together as a family! I'm proud to call you my mom!

    Chelsea

    Romans 8

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I haven't been able to comment on your blog as of late. I've tried, but haven't succeeded. But it looks like today it's working. Can't figure that out!

    Anyway, thank you for sharing this and reminding us all that even when things look so bleak, God is always in control and He always takes care of us.

    A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete