Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Pressing on

I am sorry there are no pictures of the progress yet. I took some yesterday, but now I need my technologically adept daughter to help me get them from the camera to here!! (This is one of the skills that I am excited to learn in this blogging process!) Would you like a summary of the activity so far?? Well, have you ever gotten bogged down in a project and felt so overwhelmed that it is hard to press on? That was how I felt by mid-evening yesterday! You see, I don't have my Mom here to help me, and honestly, slipcovers are so much harder to do when she is not here! Monday I managed to make the cushion covers for both chairs. I felt like that was excellent progress because putting the zipper in the back seems tricky to me. It is a good thing that I started with those, because the body of the chair is much more difficult than just the cushion. So yesterday, in true "Allison" fashion I procrastinated with the chairs and started on another project, this one in the kitchen. I sanded, primed and painted a little shelf that I have had my mixer and coffee maker on. The cabinets in my kitchen were built in the 50's. They have a great "vintage" feeling because they are the real thing!! However, there is not enough height under the top cabinets to place my appliances on the countertop, so I have a little free-standing shelf that I keep my two most important appliances on. It is not very convienient to walk across the kitchen from the sink to fill the coffee pot, so I need to work on that issue. Anyway, the little shelf was a very dark wood and I painted it Roman Column, a warm shade of white that I had left from another project. It looks so much cuter now! Then I rearranged the items on the counters, and put up a small hanging shelf under the clock. I was feeling pretty good about things, when I reallized that with the new arrangement my mixer would be on the opposite side of the kitchen from the stove?!? Hmmmmmm! Feeling frustrated and spent from a day of seeming futility, I threw in the towel for the day and got nothing done on the slipcovers at all. Now this morning I have straightened the living room and dining room to make working in here easier. Before the kids got up I was able to spend some time in the Word of God for refreshment, have my coffee and cereal, and start in on the slipcovers again with gusto. I must leave them for a while now to go teach school. But I'll be back! My goal is to have them done by the time we go into town for the evening! Zoiks!! So much to do and so little time! Gotta run!

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing honey! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Aidan and Happy Anniversary Glen and Allison! Your anniversary flowers look lovely and add such a nice spring touch to your house. Bet it is an added inspiration for your decorating project. Good Job!

    Tom and Carolyn

    ReplyDelete