Thursday, March 5, 2009

Baby Chicks on the Way!

Though I grew up in the country surrounded by farms, we did not have any animals except cats and one dog. I always wanted a horse, but I don't think chickens were part of the picture of life I had painted for myself...how silly! Our first flock of chickens showed me the error of my ways. Aidan was a baby (funny how I mark time by my children!). We lived in our Carr Lake Rd. house in Bemidji. We knew NOTHING about chickens, but that first box of tiny chicks stole my heart. They were fascinating little creatures with bright inquisitive eyes and striking markings. They scratched and scritched and cheeped, and responded to our constant care splendidly. Although they could fit easily in the palm of my hand they were CHICKENS from day one. When I see the miracle of creatures so tiny that know exactly what they are and how they were made to be, I am amazed again by the designing hand of our CREATOR GOD. How brilliant he is! And full of wonderful humor...for if I can be so entertained by the antics of a few hens and roosters, I know he must be as well! It has been over two years since we watched our own flock pecking and wandering around the back yard. Now the order has been placed, and on April 13th our new babies will arrive in their little cardboard box. I can't wait to see them, hear them, hold their soft downy fluffiness! I can't wait to watch them come running when we call them with the "chick, chick, chick, chick" that announces dinner time. It will be wonderful to reach under a hen in her box and pull out a fresh, warm egg. Chickens somehow make me feel at home, and I think that they will feel right at home here as well! Oh yeah...I suppose now that they are ordered and on their way, I really do need to get out to the barn and make it ready for them!! yes, this does mean that I will have to do some major cleaning! *SIGH*

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I smell lemon curds and angel food cake!

    ReplyDelete