Well, talking about gardens certainly strikes a chord with all of us. So here is another garden memory. (I just wish I could post the pictures! )
We bought our first farm outside the little town of Latham, Il. when Lane was 2 years old. It was homesteaded by Mary Buckles' husband's family and no other family had owned it till we bought. It was on a hill, back off the road and was white clapboard with green shutters. I think they had the house rented for a while, but no one had gardened in years. We expressed our excitement about planting a garden right away. Ken (Mary's husband) dove out in a HUGE tractor and plow and plowed us up a big garden spot. We planted all kinds of vegetables right away, and even though it was July, everything we planted grew and grew and we had hardly any weeds at all! Every morning we would run outside in our jammies and check on our baby plants. It was so much fun!
I was part of the Herb Guild back then. A wonderful group of ladies all interested in gardening with herbs. So I had to plant an herb garden, too. Somewhere I had read that you could use a garden hose to lay out the borders of a new garden. So I got out our garden hose, it was two long hoses connected so it would reach the garden from the house, and made a large half-circle shape. Then I got out my shovel and started removing all the sod. Those two hoses made such a large space that it took me three days to remove all the sod from inside it!! My hands were so sore and covered with blisters. Then an old brick building was torn down in Mt. Pulaski. Glen was a dear! He brought home van loads of bricks and we laid pathways like spokes of a wheel in the garden. I put a bird bath in the center and a bench in one "slice" and tried to fill it with herbs. The following spring, when I was aching for green just like I am now, we had some early very warm days. Ignoring the frost-free date of May 14th, I went to the green house and spent $40.00 on herbs!! I thought Glen would kill me! I planted them all and yes, they all froze three days later when the weather turned cold again! I learned my lesson though! I have never planted before frost-free since then! I planted two more gardens at that house before we had to move back into town. I think I could have lived there forever. Someday I will post all of those pictures...I am looking at them now in my scrapbook. Crazy! I was 25 then...my 2yr. old is now going on 15!! How does it all go by so fast? Say, please come help me with my garden! We can make some new memories here! I would love to have you!
I can hardly STAND to wait till the middle of MAY! But I froze a ton of things last spring, when I jumped the gun. It took all summer for my really pretty red hydrangeas to perk up, and my hibiscus required a lot of pampering (I think he was mad at me for making him suffer through a frost!). Yes, I put him out on the deck, didn't check the weather, and it froze that night...I was mad, too! Allison, have you seen a robin, yet? Karina and I saw one this afternoon in our tree! YIPEE! (But we're still 2 long months from planting....ugh) Maybe I'll try your idea to get some seeds started early. At least I'd "feel" like things were going in the right direction. Where do you keep all your trays? I can't think of where I'd keep them. Love ya, FG, from your B-e-e!
ReplyDelete