Monday, March 2, 2009
Can She Bake a Cherry Pie?
Yesterday, inspired by my father's birthday, (cherry is his favorite) I did indeed bake a cherry pie. Well, the recipe called the pan-less dessert a "rustic tart", but it was a pie nonetheless. Those who know me understand that this does not mean a store-bought crust and canned pie-filling, but a homemade, flaky pie-crust and frozen pitted sour cherries. This morning I had one of the remaining pieces for breakfast! Yummy!! While eating, it dawned on me that I have never before made a cherry pie, yet sour cherries are one of my favorite fruits. I know my love for cherries goes back to my childhood. I grew up on a country road in central Illinois. There were not many neighbors, but the house on the corner belonged to a family with children, and an old orchard. In the center of all the apple trees was one cherry tree. It was large and lovely with low branches perfect for climbing. My brother and I, along with the two boys who lived there, spent hours up in its leafy shade picking and eating the tart fruit. Since then I have wanted a cherry tree in my life. That dream has yet to become a reality. So this morning, with cherry pie in my tummy, I think I will sit down with the garden catalogs and look for cold-hardy cherry trees. Maybe in a few years we will be eating cherry pie on a regular basis! Oh happy thought!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ryan says, "She rocks."
ReplyDelete