Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Herb Garden

We are having numerous computer issues in our house lately, one of which limits my ability to post pictures. I wanted to show you pictures of my last herb garden to help you envision what I would like for my herb garden here. The "canvas" of our farm is open and free from all past attempts. In other words, there are no real flower beds or gardens for me to redo, I can start where ever I want. It is especially freeing to think that I can completely choose my own colors, textures, and flower medium to use. Yet I feel unable to begin. How do I decide where to put the first plants? The yard is huge! Do I start here, or would over there be better? What about closer to the driveway, or how about under the shade of that enormous maple tree. I feel that I need boundaries, and indeed I do. Every garden must start with some form of structure, some backbone for the flowers and foliage to add shape and form to. I think my favorite form of structure in the country is a fence. Fantastic! Finally, a way to begin! But wait, what type of fence? There are so many varieties, each one with its own style and character. How will I decide what would look best here on the farm? Oh dear...so close to success, and yet so far!
I have been thinking about my last herb garden. It was in the tiny fenced-in back yard of our blue house in Mt. Pulaski, Il. That was back in 1998. I remember vividly tearing out the sod all along the inside of the fence to make a bed for the herbs and flowers that I wanted to plant. They all looked so spindly and tiny when they first went in, but by the end of the summer they were lush and full and the garden was beginning to look established. Well, whatever I decide to do here, I know it will take an enormous amount of work, cost more than I can afford, and in the end create a wonderful sense of accomplishment and joy. Time to get out the graph paper and #2 pencils. It is always best to create on paper first, for an eraser fixes a mistake easier than a shovel!

4 comments:

  1. This is exactly my task for this month! Bring your graph paper and books when you come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to dream and plan your gardens! And how many beautiful gardens have you invested blood, sweat and tears into that you left behind for others to enjoy? If you are interested you can check out my sister Connie's blog, she is an awesome gardener: rosecottagegarden.blogspot.com and also my sister in law, Chis, the one who lives in Eau Claire at rubyinthegarden.blogspot.com. I am still contemplating starting my own sometime. Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kinda glorious and sad at the same time to be dreaming of a summer garden. I can't help but look outside to see the slushy, brown streets, and my yard still covered in snow... In my mind I dream of summer, and I can't wait to come help you dig in your dirt. I love, love, love getting a garden going. Please, can I help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Allison, your blue house in Mt. Pulaski. I drive by it every time I pick Kaden up from school. I remember coming to your home when the tornado alarm would go off...which was often, painting the wainscoting in your kitchen green to match your dishes, the grapevine wrapped around the top of your fence, watching Veggie Tales all the time because the kids didn't want to watch anything else, seeing Gabi scoot around on the floor - never crawling, and coming back from a trip to Country Junction - either stashing the loot somewhere in the house or putting it in the perfect place to make it look as if it had ALWAYS been there. I MISS YOU!!

    ReplyDelete