Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pioneer Woman/Farmgirl Project

Have you seen the Julie and Julia movie?

It is the story of a young woman from New York City who decides to try to cook her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking cookbook in just one year and write a blog about it.

If you haven't seen the movie...you should!

I was very inspired by the idea of cooking my way through an entire cookbook!

My cookbook collection is extensive.

I have favorite recipes from each one.

Never, ever, EVER have I tried to cook all the recipes from one book!

So I thought...why not try?!?

I have decided to cook my way through The Pioneer Woman Cooks, by Ree Drummond.

It is quite a bit simpler than Mastering the Art of French Cooking! Nothing like five hundred-some-odd recipes. More like...sixty-one...but hey, it's a start for me!!

The bright, colorful pictures and hearty, everyday type dishes are what swayed me.

And I thought the title would be catchy...The Pioneer Woman/Farmgirl Project...it's cute, right!?

So, I have given myself a goal. Sixty-one recipes in forty-two days.

Seems like that should be more-than-possible. Even totally do-able!

I should make it clear that unlike Julie in the movie, I am not, now, nor do I ever aspire to be a writer! I am not looking for a book contract. And I do not have a government job.

I just thought it would be a fun way to get me inspired to cook again. (I haven't felt much like it lately.)

With all that in mind I should also tell you that Ree does a fantastic job of photographing her food.

Therefore, I will not be photographing any of it.

But I will be eating it!!

I started strong today by choosing my husband's favorite dish. Lasagna!

I also chose Homemade Ranch with Iceberg Wedge.

And for dessert, Chocolate Sheet Cake!!

The Lasagna was basic and satisfying. The kids enjoyed it and said it tasted much like my usual recipe does. I thought that was high praise indeed, seeing how my normal Lasagna uses jarred spaghetti sauce and Ree's called for canned tomatoes and fresh herbs.

The ranch dressing got mixed reviews at my table. I loved it! Chelsea loved it! Lane thought it tasted like grass...so did Aidan. Gabi refrained from trying it.

The Chocolate Sheet Cake was simple to prepare. And if it is as good as the frosting that I licked off the spatula...it will be a WINNER!

It is still cooling, so we have to wait to know for sure!

So there you have it, folks!

Three recipes and one day down, fifty-eight recipes and forty-one days to go!

Yummo!!

Update: The Chocolate Sheet Cake scores a 10 out of 10!! Fantastic!

Tomorrow morning...Cinnamon Rolls!

Coffee anyone???

3 comments:

  1. Love it all Babe! You make our lives beautiful! (Glen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited to follow you on this food-a-thon! Ryan will likely try to plan a trip north before the 41 days are gone. And the ranch dressing dialogue made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, didn't check your post soon enough I guess, no coffee, but cinnamon rolls please!!

    ReplyDelete